- Best Bottom Loading Water Dispenser: Whirlpool – Self Cleaning – Hot and Cold – Bottom Load Water Cooler with LED Indicators
- Before we get into our top 5 selections, let’s talk about the different types and benefits of a bottom loading water dispenser!
- 2 Main Types of Bottom Loading Dispensers
- Benefits of Bottom Loading Water Dispensers
- Best Bottom Loading Water Dispenser Comparisons and Reviews
If you’ve ever personally loaded a water jug on a traditional water cooler, you’ll know it’s not the easiest task. Those jugs are heavy, and one slip up could mean spilling water all over the floor!
That’s where bottom loading water coolers come in, and they work exactly like they sound. No more lifting heavy jugs, just slide the jug in the compartment and you’re off to the races.
- Standard dispensers – They don’t heat or cool water (room temperature water)
- Heating & Cooler dispensers – You have the option of having hot and cold water.
- You don’t need to lift 3-5-gallon water bottles that weight 25-45 lbs.!
- No spills
- Reduce potential accidents from spills
- Prevents back injury
- Convenient design – creates a clean and tidy look in your kitchen
- Cleaner appearance – bottles are hidden below the unit
- No more hassles of changing the water bottle in your water cooler
|Model||Product Name||Product Dimensions||Weight||Warranty|
|Whirlpool Self Cleaning||15 x 12.6 x 40.5 inches||40.3 pounds||1-year|
|Primo||14.2 x 12.2 x 40.9 inches||16.3 pounds|
|45.5 x 16.3 x 15.8 inches||45 pounds|
|12.6 x 13 x 40.2 inches||45.2 pounds||1-year|
|14 x 13 x 42 inches||47.2 pounds||1-year|
1. Whirlpool Self Cleaning – with LED Indicators
This is due to its 6th sense technology and then it uses unstable oxygen in order to kill bacteria and other viruses that can be contaminating your water.
It is nice and sleek for your office since it is made of stainless steel. And it even has a nickel planted front and sides for a sleek and sophisticated edgy design. Look wise, this to me is the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
It screams sophistication and luxury, but the price tag does not.
- This is the companies 5th generation of bottom loading water dispensers so they know what they are doing
- The LED light lets you know when the self-cleaning is running
- The LED will also allow you to know when the water is at its coldest or at its hottest
- The coldest the water gets is 9° F which is well below freezing
- The hot water is hot enough to brew the perfect cup of tea, which is hotter than water for a cup of coffee
- A 300 pound person can sit on the water dispenser and not break it
- Will outlast other brands since the compressor is not used as often due to the cooling system
- Is able to use 3 or 5 gallon water jugs which seems to be the two most popular sizes
- Only offers freezing cold or boiling hot water. In order to achieve room temperature you need to leave the poured water out
- Since it is stainless steel, it shoes stains and finger prints all over the appliance. Keep a rag handy
This is our lightest water dispenser weighing in at only 16 pounds.
Most weigh between 40 and 45 pounds. It is able to work with different brand of water bottles and not just Primo.
You can use Poland Springs, Deer Park or whatever other brand your heart desires.
- Accommodates 3 or 5 gallon water jugs
- Water gets hot enough to nicely brew a cup of tea. You can also make soups and other foods or beverages that require hot water
- The cavity is adjustable and can fit different sizes of jugs in it
- Zero complaints about the cold water temperature. Not freezing cold, but not room temperature. Seems to be just right.
- Families love it. Their kids are drinking more water because the buttons are fun to press. It is a healthy habit to instil in your kids
- Great for a small kitchen. Will fit nicely into a corner or next to counter space. Does not take up much room at all
- People have been using theirs for over a year and have yet to report any issues or problems
- Great for people with bad backs since you just need to put the jug in the bottom
- Comes very well packaged
- Great for a small office or at home
- Only comes in black. White and stainless steel are not offered
- Some report that the jugs are left with a pint of water in them when the machine ways that they are empty
- Does not have an adjustable thermostat
- Many report leaking issues which seems to be quite common with this brand of water dispensers.
It will fit into any home or office easily. You have three water temperatures to choose from: hot, cold and room. This way you can choose whichever you’d like.
What I like about this model is that it has a built in night light so when you need a glass of water in the middle of the night, you do not need to turn a light switch on and hurt your eyes.
You can see the taps just fine.
You also have the child proof lock so they are not able to dispense hot water. Let’s take a look at some other pros.
- Bottom loading so you do not need to strain your back lifting and flipping the water jug
- Energy Star approved
- Has a child safety lock so they cannot dispense hot water
- It is also a night light
- Stands at 45 inches high so it is at a comfortable height for many
- Comes with a pump
- You can turn the heater off if you will not be using it for hot water
- Uses a real compressor
- Ideal for either 3 or 5 gallon jug
- Cold water is 39° F which is just above freezing
- Hot water is 150° F which is quite hot
- Many people find this to be more economical in the long run, especially since they have their jugs refilled
- You must actively clean it, otherwise the water will begin to taste funny
- People report taps not working after a month or so, but the company and their customer service took care of it
4. Honeywell HWB1033W Cabinet – Freestanding Hot, Cold and Room
This water dispenser is not as aesthetically pleasing. It is just a clean white water dispenser. No chrome or stainless steel features. The only stainless steel is the water tank which provides the clean drinking water.
I would say it fits better in with a home than an office, but that is just my opinion.
This water dispenser is a bit shorter standing in at 40 inches high. In order to dispense the water all you need to do is push in the tap.
Do not worry about spills as there is a drip tray that can be taken out. Also there is a child lock to prevent kids using the steamy hot water.
- ETL certified
- Uses 3 or 5 gallon water jugs
- Has a spill proof cap for when inserting the jug
- Comes with a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- Heats water up to 194° F
- Cools water to 50° F
- Has a storage space and base for larger water bottles or bowls
- Indicator lights are red for hot, blue for cold and green for room temperature
- Wait the full amount of time prior to plugging it in. You will be happy you did
- Many enjoy the bit of storage it comes with
- Spill free system does work
- Water will only taste funny if you do not properly follow the instructions
- It comes in white. Most prefer black and stainless steel
- The hot water heater runs constantly even when not using. Luckily you are able to switch it on and off as you please
- Some believe the cold water tap does not dispense cold enough water
One of my favourite bottom loading water dispensers. You can have your hot cup of tea at breakfast or soup for lunch, cold refreshing water for your reusable water bottle, or just water at room temperature for whenever you want it. Isn’t it nice having more than one option when it comes to your water temperature?
You will also be happy to learn that even though the water jug is hidden, you will always know when to replace it when its indicator light flashes.
Go ahead, read some of the pros.
- No filters are needed, just provide the jug of water
- Tray is removable and dishwasher safe for when it needs to be cleaned
- Built in safety locks to prevent children from using the hot water buttons – if you want the water dispenser for home use
- Energy star compliant
- ETL certified
- Offers steamy hot, room temperature and cold water
- Empty light is the only light on the water dispenser. It is bright red so you know when water needs replacing
- Water is drawn in by suction since it is not a top loading water dispenser
- Easy to install so anyone in the office or at home is able to do it
- The water jug easily slides in so most people can replace the bottle when empty
- Water flow is greatly affected by the pressure. Make sure jug is installed properly prior to getting a cup of water
- Suction can become loose if water jug not replaced correctly.
- Leaks if jug not installed properly
- If any switches become loose, you just need to wiggle or jiggle them back with a paperclip or screwdriver
- Some believe the room temperature water is too cold
So What Is the Verdict?
Our choice for best bottom loading water dispenser is the Whirlpool self-cleaning water dispenser. We love its sleek nickel and stainless steel exterior and the temperatures it is able to dispense the water at.
You can make a hot cup of tea, or enjoy an iced tea on the go.
The possibilities are endless.
What is most ideal about this particular water dispenser is that it is designed for commercial use, but it is still able to be used at a residential setting.
You do not need to worry about cleaning it either since it is self-cleaning. No bacteria or viruses to be spread through the water valves and pipes. Just clean water for the whole family and office.
I know I would rather trust a company that has been making bottom loading water dispensers for years, possibly even decades longer than others. They have the engineering done for that and are now improving other features making them top of the line in water dispensers.
If I had to pick a runner up for the best bottom loading water dispenser I would have to say Avalon Bottom Loading Water Dispenser since it offers 3 different water temperatures.
You can have the freezing cold water and the boiling hot water, but you can also have the room temperature water which is not offered on the Whirlpool water dispenser. It also helps that it has a child proof lock on it so your children will not pour boiling hot water on themselves.
So next time you see your office manager, casually mention the Whirlpool self-cleaning water dispenser. It’s stainless steel and nickel which will blend in with the office kitchens and break rooms flawlessly. These are sturdy, reliable models that you can use for years to come.
Image credit: Amazon.com