Waste, rubbish, trash, scraps, litter or refuse are all common terms used to describe our garbage. No matter what we call it, we all want to dispose of it in the fastest and most efficient way.
We live in a society that whatever we eat or do, we seem to produce more trash. There are many ways to take the trash out, but we all want to reduce our environmental impact.
Having a garbage disposal in your home comes with numerous advantages, and this article is designed to help you choose the best garbage disposal that matches your budget, lifestyle and family needs.
Here is our review of the best garbage disposals of 2018.
Best Garbage Disposal Reviews 2018
InSinkErator has earned a stellar reputation as one of the most reliable builders of food waste disposers, and the InSinkErator badger 5 is the perfect example of the quality of their products.
It has a 1/2 horsepower, a wall switch, a grind chamber capacity of 26 oz, a dish washer drain connection, and an overall height of 12-5/8″. It has been recommended by many plumbers and other users, with a majority preferring it over other food waste disposers.
One thing that past users really like is it’s build quality and durability. If you maintain it well, the badger 5 will give you up to 5 years of uninterrupted service – no wonder the manufacturer is confident enough to give a 2-year warranty on both parts and labor costs.
Inside the box, you will find a quick lock sink mount, jam-buster wrench, tailpipe, tailpipe gasket, stopper and installation instructions.
- 26-ounce capacity and a galvanized-steel grind system
- ½ HP dura-drive induction motor.
- 2-year warranty.
Find more InSinkErator badger 5 information and reviews here
Due to the quality, reputation and reliability of this product, it is justifiable to say that it is one of the best food waste disposers you will find in the market. Therefore, if you are looking for a food waste disposer that doesn’t make a lot of noise and one that offers value for your money, then the InsinkErator badger 5 is the way to go.
- It also makes less noise than previous models and other food waste disposers.
- It’s one of the gadget made in USA.
- Easy to install compared to other garbage disposers.
- Its strong enough to handle almost all types of good garbage, yet more quiet than other models.
- One short coming of this product is that, just as the human brain withers from lack of use, the badger 5 can quickly corrode and rust from non-use.
This feed disposal is produced by General Electric and has many unique features. It has a powerful grinding action that enables it to reduce the size of food particles with relative ease.
It is convenient to use since it is uniquely designed with dual swivel blades to prevent jamming. The feed disposal is generally easy to use because all you need to do is run cold water, turn on the switch and grind the food particles you wish to grind.
With a measurement of 5.5 inches wide by 12.69 inches high, the dimensions of this feed disposal ensure it does not take too much of your space and that you have enough room for storage under the sink.
- It is 5.5 inches wide and 12.69 inches high
- It has a 1/2 horsepower and motor speed of over 2800 rpm
- It comes with stainless steel dual swivel blades and removable splash guard.
- It has galvanized steel turntable with a large capacity and stainless-steel sink flange.
- It comes with a cold-rolled carbon-steel armature shaft material and a manual reset overload protector.
Find more General Electric GFC520V information and reviews here
General Electric’s GFC520V feed disposal is relatively easy to use, though it might be challenging to install if you do not have prior experience. However, most people who have used it in the past say they are happy they bought it.
In terms of functionality, this feed disposal ranks well and does the job it is supposed to do. It is effective in grinding food particles and does so without making too much noise.
Its great quality ensures that you get value for money when you decide to make a purchase. In terms of longevity of service, this feed disposal will require good maintenance for it to last long.
If you are looking for an affordable, good quality and easy to use feed disposal, model GFC520V is an ideal candidate.
- No matter what you put into this disposer, it won’t make noise.
- Most people who have used this product says it’s easy to install.
- It comes with stainless steel brands which last for long.
- It comes with dual swivel blades that are anti-jam.
- Though it has these interesting features and functionality, there are other models which are quicker and easier to install such as waste king’s legend 8000 feed disposers.
- It’s also quite difficult to replace an already installed feed disposal with GFC520V feed disposal and you might require an experienced technician to do it for you.
- Again, if you do not use this feed disposal often and carry out good maintenance practices, it will start to rust and its services will be short lived. Another thing about this product is that it does not carry an attractive warranty and thus compares less favorably with other food disposers.
3. Whirlaway 291 – Best Garbage Disposer
If there is one thing that makes Whirlaway 291 Garbage Disposer stand out, it’s lower price tag relative to other garbage disposers of its capability.
Also, it is relatively lighter, quitter, and easier to install – it comes with the EZ mount system. It has a unique design that enables it to fit easily under the sink. This implies that you will not need a technician to install this disposer.
Due to the non-corrosive nature of the grinder components, this disposer has a greater longevity than many disposers.
It is also easy to clean due to the presence of a removable splashguard.
- It has a 1/2 horsepower and permanent magnet motor.
- It comes with EZ mount system.
- It has removable splashguard.
- Comes with a grinder with non-corrosive components.
- Blades that have a side to side motion.
- Weight of 8.7 pounds and measures 13.7” x 6.1” x 5.9.”.
Find more Whirlaway 291 information and reviews here
This model is cheap but it is not as impressive as other models such as Waste King’ Legend 8000 and InSinkErator’s Badger 5. It is quite easy to install due to its EZ design and weight. Also, it has great longevity due to its non-corrosive grinder components.
This model makes more noise than other food disposers such as the ones named above. It is suitable for grinding of small particles and other light types of grinding and grinding large particles will cause the disposer to jam. This product is therefore best suited for a person who is looking for a cheap food disposal for grinding small particles and for doing other light grindings.
- It’s cheaper compared to other disposers within its performance capacity.
- It comes with an EZ mount that makes installation super easy even for the inexperienced plumber.
- Although it is specifically designed to handle organic waste, this unit will allow you to get away with bone or two.
- One shortcoming of this model however is that it is not as powerful as other models in the market such as Waste King models.
- Any attempt to grind large particles will lead to jamming of the disposer.
- This model does not come with a power cord and it must be hard wired.
- In addition, it makes a lot of noise while grinding.
4. Kitchen Aid KCDB250G – Best Garbage Disposal for the Money
This ½ horse power food disposer runs with or without a cover to make food disposal as easy and quick as possible. Its motor rotates at a super high speed of 1725 rpm to effectively grind even the toughest food debris. for effective grinding.
One advantage of this model is the price, it has a lower price tag which makes it cheaper than many feed disposers. Another great thing about this product is the ease of installation. The manufacturers have made it quite simple to install this disposer meaning you do not have to look for a professional to install it for you.
The grinding chamber of model KCDB250G is made of corrosion resistant materials, and most parts of this disposer are made of galvanized steel, giving the model a greater longevity than most models in the market.
A reset overload button ensures that the product is safe for use in case of overheating. In terms of grinding power, this unit ranks well too. The unit has a high grinding power which together with the continuous feed feature makes it easy to use and facilitates quicker disposal of waste particles.
- A 1/2 horsepower.
- Motor speed of 1725 rpm.
- Continuous feed.
- Polystyrene insulated grinding chamber.
- Stainless steel mount.
- Overload protection with manual reset.
- Weighs 14.2 pounds.
- Measures 14.6″ x 7.5″ x 7.4″ and comes with a one year warranty.
Find more Kitchen Aid KCDB250G information and reviews here
The product is competitively priced and more affordable than many models of its capacity. It is also relatively easy to install and has reasonable grinding power. However, most of the parts of the model are made of galvanized steel rather than the standard stainless steel. In addition to this, it carries a less attractive 1 year warranty and can be quite the noise maker.
With that in mind, the model is ideal for a person who is looking for a cheap but reliable disposer, and can put up with a little noise once in a while. A person looking for a better quality food disposer with more advanced features can try Waste King’s Legend 8000,General Electric’s model GFC520V or InSinkErator’s Badger 5.
- It runs with or without a food rid, making food disposal ultra-easy.
- It’s grinding chamber is corrosion resistant.
- It has a reset over load button which does a fantastic job in terms of avoiding overheating.
- It cheaper than most models in its price category.
- Most of the materials of Kitchen Aid’s model KCDB250G are not made of the standard stainless steel but rather galvanized steel.
- The model comes with a one year warranty and therefore does not rank favorably with other food disposer’s warranties such as Waste King’s lifetime warranty and InSinkErator’s two-year in-home warranty.
- If compared with other disposers., It can be quite the noise maker
This garbage disposal unit has been called the Rolls Royce of all units. It has one of the high-tech grinding systems on the market.
It uses a 3-stage grinding system, basically everything but the kitchen sink can be ground up in this unit.
It is capable of grinding up bones and hard vegetables like pumpkin skin.
Find more InsinkErator Exel 1.0 information and reviews here
- It has a SoundSeal Plus, which makes the unit almost silent when running. It is almost impossible to hear when grinding up the most troublesome waste.
- Comes with a 7 year in home warranty. The warranty begins once it is installed in your house.
- Made in the USA, you are getting quality you can count on.
- It is the Rolls Royce for quality and has a huge price tag. One of these babies will put you back a bit.
- It can be slow to drain and if not careful the sink can overfill from the backed up drain.
- It should be professional installed because of the weight of the model, if incorrectly installed it will leak and break.
This model is offers a good solid garbage disposal unit for a medium sized household.
It has a 2-stage grinding system that quickly grinds up your leftovers.
Comes with a 3/4 horsepower Dura-drive motor.
Find more InSinkErator information and reviews here
- It has a SoundSeal technology that reduces noise when compared to other garbage disposal units.
- The grind chamber and blades are made up of stainless steel.
- 4-year warranty.
- Easy to install
- It doesn’t come with a power cord.
- It can be slow at draining the ground up leftover and can cause the sink to back up.
- Food can get stuck between the blades and become clogged easily.
7. Waste King L-8000 – Best Quality Garbage Disposal
Waste king legend 8000 has many great features. First, the magnificent power (1 H.P.) of this model enables it to grind almost anything you throw its way. Also, since it is a continuous feed disposal, you can add waste to the legend 8000 even when it’s still running.
However, the one thing people who have bought this disposer in the past really like is its anti-jamming nature. It fitted with the swivel impellers which greatly reduce jamming, while cleaning is made easy by the removable splash guards.
Personally, Waste King Legend 800 was my third disposer. I bought it last year, and I find it unique from other disposers due to its relative silence. Its grind components are well insulated, effectively reducing the grinding noise.
What’s more, all the disposers I had bought in the past had rusting and corrosion issues. However, in this model, corrosion is reduced due to the glass filled nylon grinding chamber.
Compared to the other models that I had used, the unit is quite easy to install. The reason for this is the presence of a quick and easy mount system with all the required hardware. The model also carries a lifetime in house warranty, meaning any product defect can be repaired at no cost to you.
- Motor horsepower of 1 H.P.
- Motor Speed of 2800 rpm.
- Voltage of 115 volts.
- 36-inch power cord
- Stainless steel 7 Celcon sink flange
- Removable splash guard.
- Stainless steel grinding ring.
- Stainless steel swivel impellers
- Stainless steel turn table
- Glass filled polyester grinding chamber and a sleeve bearing which is permanently lubricated.
- A lifetime in-home warranty as well as a lifetime corrosion warranty
The fact that this food disposer carries a lifetime warranty shows that the manufacturers are committed to producing the best possible food disposers they can, therefore there is a limited possibility that this product will breakdown easily.
This model is uniquely designed to reduce noise and is an ideal choice for anyone looking for a food disposer that does not make too much noise. It is also user friendly – it’s easy to install. This product is therefore one of its kind in the market both in terms of quality and value for money.
- It gives a more powerful grind compared to other models within its price category.
- The grinding chamber is made of glass-filled nylon, meaning it won’t corrode.
- The steel grinding parts are well insulated to give the quietest grind possible.
- People who have used this product in the past really loved.
- One client says the sink flange leaves a lot to be desired – quoting that the metal is too thick.
Life is full of choices. Our kitchen will be the heart of our home and garbage disposal unit can make or break the peace in our kitchen. If you choose the wrong unit it can turn into a massive headache. Let me see list of the best selling garbage disposal units
on the market.
What Is a Garbage Disposal Unit?
It is a device that is electronically powered and is typically attached to the bottom of your kitchen sink. They are often called a waste disposal unit, garbage disposal unit or as known in Canada as the infamous garburator.
It is a small device the shreds leftover food waste in extremely small pieces that allow it to pass easily through the plumbing. Garbage disposal units are considered to be a household necessity in United States and are very popular in Canada.
How Do They Work?
- Turn on the switch so your garbage disposal unit has power to chew up all the waste.
- Place leftover food scraps in the sink.
- Turn the tap on until there is a heavy flow of water.
- The heavy flow of water will push the leftover food down the drain. You might need to carefully maneuver the leftover food towards the drain. Be careful not to place your hand near the drain.
- Once in the drain, the scraps go into the grinding chamber inside of the garbage disposal unit and the shredding blades begin to cut up the food. Inside of the unit, there is an impeller arm that forces the cut up scraps on to the unit and down the drain.
- While using the garbage disposal unit, make sure there is a heavy flow of water running from the tap to avoid the unit from overheating or preventing small pieces from flying up and splattering everywhere.
Say “Adios” to your banana peels, unwanted stale pizza crusts and other disgusting leftovers nobody wants to eat by feeding them to your garbage disposal unit. All the chopped up waste is flushed down the drain, never to be seen again. It is a very easy and efficient process for removing leftover food from your house.
Taking out the garbage has never been easier.
The best garbage disposals are considered to be environmentally friendly.
Do you how much waste is dropped into landfills each year in the United States alone?
More than 150 million tons of waste is buried yearly in landfills. Only 40 million tons of waste is recycled. We can’t even grasp the amount of garbage that is and most developed countries like Canada and United Kingdom have similar numbers of waste being dropped into their landfills each year.
How Are Garbage Disposal Units Environmentally Friendly?
- Garbage disposal units help to keep food scraps out of landfills.
- They help reduce the amount of diesel fuel used and the emissions that are commonly associated with garbage trucks, as they will have less garbage to pick up thus less trucks on the road.
- The waste that is ground up and pushed down the drain will flow into a wastewater treatment center that turns that waste into positive resources such as fertilizer.
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions, as the material is broken down faster than in a landfill, because it breaks down faster it can produce clean energy.
Using a garbage disposal unit can be our way of lessening our environmental footprint on mother earth. It is one of the greenest options for disposing of our food waste.
What Types of Garbage Disposal Units Are There?
There are two types of garbage disposal units: continuous feed and batch feed units. They aren’t that different but it will give you something to consider when choosing your garbage disposal unit.
The name says it all, the second you turn on your unit to the second you turn it off, it will be in grinding mode.
- This is the best option if you have a huge amount of waste to grind up everyday, as it is non-stop.
- This is great option if you are always tiding up as you cook, then you can grind up a little bit at a time.
- This model is considerably cheaper than batch feed model and are more popular.
- Accidents do happen, as it is non-stop you might accidently drop a fork in there and it could do quite a bit of damage before you manage to turn it off.
- As it works non-stop you will need to use more water than the other unit.
Again, the name explains how this garbage disposal unit works. It basically grinds up food in batches or once it reaches a certain weight or it has been filled.
- These units have a stopper, which means there is no huge gapping hole in your kitchen sink, for unwanted items to accidently fall into it.
- If you only to discard a small amount of waste daily, this would be the best choice for a garbage disposal unit.
- This is the safest unit, as it needs to be filled before it will function and the cover has to be in place before it begins to work. This prevents the fork from falling in there and causing some serious damage.
- If you have quite a bit of waste everyday, this will be a very slow option to use.
- If you don’t have a enough waste to grind, you might be tempted just to stuff it in there until you have more waste. But that can lead to bacterial growth, which leads to illness and insects.
The differences between the two garbage disposal units are not that different, it basically boils down to how much money you are willing to spend, safety concerns and the amount of waste you produce each day. The decision is yours to make, depending on what is important for you and your family.
Pros and Cons of a Garbage Disposal Unit
Everything in life has its advantages and downsides. Let us examine some of the pros and cons to having a garbage disposal unit:
Convenience: Life is busy and it is one less thing to take outside for the garbage truck or finding another way to dispose of our leftover waste. Also, we avoid the stinking garbage smells as it has all been flushed down the drain.
Lower health risks: Most of us are only able to put the trash out once a week. Bacteria only needs hours to begin growing in your garbage bin. Many bacteria grow into spores that can float around your kitchen and land on food items that we are consuming, without realizing the food has become contaminated.
Potential clogging: Certain foods can clog your garbage disposal unit, such as grease, eggshells, undercooked pasta, cheese and certain vegetables. It can cause some water leakage and may even require a visit from your plumber to fix it.
Finger trouble: The shredders are quite low in the drain, so it is very difficult for someone to cut their fingers in their garbage disposal unit. But children can sometimes be curious and might try and stick their fingers into the disposal unit. If you have children, take the time to explain how to use it correctly and show them pictures of what could happen if they play with the garbage disposal unit, so they will avoid it like the plague.
Noisy: It can be considered to be noisy by some; it is not as noisy as your hair dryer.
Low cost: We will use less garbage bags, it consumes almost no energy and as the old saying goes “Time is money” you won’t be wasting your precious time taking out the trash.
As you can see, the pros weigh out the cons with having a garbage disposal unit. Some dogs might be scared of the noise it makes but over time, they will get used to it.
Investing in a good quality garbage disposal unit will last you many years and will make your life so much easier.
Hints and Tips About Garbage Disposals
Your garbage disposal unit can be your best friend if you learn to use it correctly and treat it right. It can outlive most of your other domestic appliances that you have in your kitchen. Here are some helpful hints on how to correctly use your garbage disposal unit:
Never put these items into your garbage disposal unit:
- Grease or oil, these items can quickly solidify and clog the drain.
- Potato peels are extremely starchy and love to cling to the sides of your garbage disposal unit causes clogs or breakage.
- Non-organic metals such as glass, metal, plastic or paper they can dull the blades and become lodged in the drainpipe.
- Foods that expand, such as rice and pasta, water causes them to expand inside of your unit, which will lead to an unwanted clog.
These hints and tips will help keep your garbage disposal unit in tip-top shape for many years to come. If you think your unit is clogged, turn it off and try and unclog it.
If you are unable to unclog it yourself, call your local plumber and he will come to your rescue.
How to Pick a Garbage Disposer That Suits Your Life?
Having a garbage disposal unit installed in your house is one of the best investments you can make. But you need to make sure you choose the correct garbage disposal unit for your kitchen sink and requirements.
When choosing your unit, remember you get what you pay for. Cheap isn’t always better.
First thing you need to do before getting your unit is check the local regulations on garbage disposal units. Some areas have prohibited using garbage disposal units because of too much strain on the sewer lines.
If you are just replacing an old unit, there is no need to check out the local regulations.
A question that might be difficult for most of us to answer is can your plumbing handle the extra movement through the drains? Also you will need to see what type of unit your kitchen sink can hold.
A quick phone call to your local plumber will answer those questions, also bigger hardware stores have professionals who can tell you if your plumbing is strong enough, by just showing them a single picture on your phone.
While you are looking under your sink, check out if there is an electrical outlet nearby for your garbage disposal unit. If not you will need to wire into an existing circuit and make an on/off switch.
Garbage disposal units have all types of motors. A smaller motor would be fine if you live alone in an apartment. But if you have a family and are always cooking at home, it would wise to consider the largest motor on the market. It will be less likely to burn out with everyday use.
Water and metal are a rusty disaster, make sure the model you choose is made from stainless steel. Also, ask what the blades are made from, stainless steel blades last the longest, harder and sharper than other metals. Also, because the blades are sharper, the food will get chopped up finer, meaning less clogs.
Cheaper units will use little to no stainless steel and will likely break down and wear out faster than a best quality unit.
Some other suggestions to take into consideration when choosing your garbage disposal unit are to make sure it has corrosion protection inside of the unit, this will help your unit last longer. Some units come with a splash guard, this is a great option because it will help keep you kitchen sink looking neat and tidy.
There are so many reasons to have a garbage disposal unit. As we have learned it is considered to be one of the best ways to be eco-friendly when disposing of our food waste. You will need to think of a different task for your kids to do, as there won’t be any garbage to take out.
One of the best advantages to having garbage disposal units is that your kitchen will not smell like rotting garbage. All of your leftovers and unwanted waste will be ground up and flushed down the sink.
You will discover that having a garbage disposal unit will be one of the best investments for your kitchen. It will make the most festive dinner party, a quick cleanup and allow you to spend time with your friends and family and not in the kitchen.We hope this guide has assisted you in finding the best garbage disposal for your kitchen.
The question is, what garbage disposal unit will you be installing in your house?