Avalon A4BLWTRCLR Water Dispenser Review 2024
With over 650 Amazon reviews and a 3.5 star rating, you may be wondering if the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR Water Dispenser is actually worth the money. This detailed review includes a wealth of information to help you decide whether or not the Avalon A4 is right for you.
Avalon A4BLWTRCLR Water Dispenser: Overview
- Dimensions: 13 x 12 x 41 inches
- Weight: 42.3 pounds
- Type: Bottom Loading
- Water Temperature Settings: Hot (185°F), Cold (47°F), Room (Ambient)
- Color: Silver, Black
- Material: 304 Stainless Steel, Plastic
- Bottle Capacity: 3 – 5 gallon
- Warranty: 1yr
- User Manual Included [PDF]
- Empty Bottle Indicator
Ranked #4 in our best water cooler dispensers reviews, the Avalon A4BLWWTRCLR didn’t quite make our choice for top 3, but it’s still worth considering. Avalon is well known for its stylish line of premium water coolers for a reason, so even with its drawbacks the A4 offers great value for the price.
As with any product, researching your options is key to making the right investment. We’re constantly researching and testing the best water treatment solutions and water appliances, along with tips for improving the quality and health of your drinking water.
Let’s take a look at the Avalon Bottom Loading Water Cooler in more detail.
Avalon A4 Water Cooler Review
Assembly & Set Up
The Avalon A4BLWTRCLR water dispenser does require some basic assembly and setup. A user manual is included with clear, straightforward directions to help you. It should take you about 20 min. to put it all together.
Inside the unit, the cold and hot water tanks are made of 304 stainless steel. For convenience during maintenance, a drain hole is located in the back for draining out the cold water tank.
Removing the water cooler lid can only be done by removing the screws on the back of the unit. A sealed lid also covers each tank to keep your water hot or cold for hours after the initial set up.
Loading and reloading the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR has been made extremely easy. Thanks to the bottom loading design, there’s minimal heavy-lifting involved. Large capacity tanks inside the unit also store water to help reduce the need for frequent reloading.
A door on the front of the Avalon A4 opens to reveal the reservoir for your water bottle. Inside the bottom loading water reservoir is a pump and a hose that connects to the water bottle. The reservoir can accommodate any 3 -5 gallon water bottle, glass or plastic.
Water is pumped from the water bottle into the hot and cold tanks. To load a bottle of water, you simply insert the bottle upright into the reservoir. Next, you remove the bottle cap and attach the bottle adapter to the water bottle. Once the adapter is securely attached, you can close the reservoir door.
For the ultimate in convenience, the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR has 3 temperature settings, hot, cold and room temperature. There are three color-coded spouts, each one activated by a separate push button.
You can’t set or adjust the temperature on the Avalon A4 water cooler dispenser. Once you plug it in, you can switch on the hot/cold buttons on the back to activate the compressor and heating element for hot and cold. The hot water dispenses at 185°Fahrenheit, and the cold reaches a crisp, refreshing temperature of 47°Fahrenheit.
The Avalon is Energy Star rated for high efficiency . On the back of the unit are 2 individual switches for hot and cold water. Dedicated switches for both hot and cold allow you to select only the one you need, while conserving energy. If, for example, you’re not using the hot water, you can turn off the hot water switch that activates the heating element. Both switches can be turned off when the machine is not in use.
Tired of running out of hot water in your home? An electric tankless water heater provides hot water on demand whenever you need it. You might find these reviews of the best tankless water heaters useful.
Cleaning the exterior is super easy thanks to the high grade, 304 stainless steel construction . If you need to troubleshoot a problem, the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR is designed to be easily repaired. Replacement parts can be ordered and installed yourself by following the user manual or contacting Avalon Tech Support.
A compressor keeps the water cold, and a heating element heats the water for hot drinks. When in use, the compressor and heating element can be heard audibly.
An Empty Bottle Indicator lights up to let you know when the water bottle is empty. As we mentioned earlier, there are 2 tanks for holding hot and cold water. Each of these store water for convenient access. The cold tank has a 3.6 liter capacity, and the hot tank has a 1 liter capacity. So even if you can’t immediately replace an empty water bottle, you should still have water left in the tanks.
To access the cold water tank, you need to remove the lid. Screws on the back of the unit secure the lid of the water cooler to the machine. There are also screws on the back that can be removed to access the cold water tank for any troubleshooting issues.
Drawbacks But Not Deal Breakers
A recurring problem mentioned by users is the difficulty of using the push-buttons for hot and cold. The push-buttons can become easily obstructed or jammed, making the push buttons resistant.
Since the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR dispenses water by means of a pump, you may find that the pressure varies. At times, the water flows through the spout with ease at a moderate rate. In other cases, you may find the water trickles slowly through the spout.
When not in use, the Avalon should be turned off. Although there are individual switches for hot and cold, using them can actually be inconvenient. The compressor takes about 1hr to refrigerate your water sufficiently. The hot water needs about 15 – 20 minutes to reach peak temperature. So, you’ll need to wait a bit when you first turn on the machine that hasn’t been in use for a while.
Finally, you may find the AvalonA4 Water Cooler a bit noisy when it’s turned on. The compressor and heating element can be heard quite audibly when in use. If you plan on using it in your office or living room, the noise could be distracting.
- Bottom loading reservoir eliminates need for heavy lifting
- 3 Temperature Settings: useful for hot, cold, or room temperature
- Child Safety Lock prevents mishaps when dispensing hot water
- Replacement Parts can be ordered to extend the life of the water cooler
Dedicated hot/cold switches conserve energy when not in use
- Compressor and heating element can be a bit noisy
- Requires approximately 1hr to refrigerate water 20mn for hot water
- Push button controls may become obstructed or difficult to use
- Uneven water pressure from the water spouts can be an inconvenience
- No self-cleaning feature like some other brands with comparable features
Avalon A4BLWTRCLR Bottom Loading Water Dispenser Troubleshooting Tips
Already own an Avalon A4BLWTRCLR water cooler dispenser? Check out these tips for troubleshooting common problems.
Leaking Water Spout:
If one of the water spouts is leaking, it could be clogged with dirt or debris. Press on the button to let water out. Use a toothpick or paperclip and insert gently up the spout to loosen any dirt or debris.
Buttons Sticking, Water Not Dispensing:
Should you experience difficulty using the push button controls for dispensing water, there may be something obstructing the button from inside the unit.
- Unplug the cooler and locate screws on backside to remove water cooler cover.
- Remove the cover carefully while wires are still attached.
- Next, inspect the hoses connecting to the tank and check for obstructions in the buttons.
- Remove any obstruction, then reverse the process to re attach the water cooler lid.
Water Leaking Inside the Cabinet
Follow these simple directions to fix a leak from inside the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR:
- Unplug the cooler and locate the screws on the back of the unit.
- Remove the screws with a screwdriver to remove the lid.
- Make sure the hoses are intact that connect to the cold tank.
- Lift off the cold tank cover to see if the seal or anything else is out of place.
- Reverse the process to seal the tank and reattach the water cooler lid.
Replacing A Cold Tank Cover
If the wiring on the float valve of the cold tank cover is damaged you can order a replacement. Here’s how to replace the cold tank cover, once you’ve received your replacement float valve:
- Locate and remove the four screws on the back plastic plate concealing the cold tank.
Next, locate the two screws connecting to a metal box on the right side of the cooler and unscrew them.
- Find the end of the damaged wire, unclip it from the electrical panel inside the box and gently pull it out to remove it.
- Disconnect the two tubes connecting to the cold tank cover and discard them.
- Attach the tubes to the replacement cover for your cold tank.
- Reverse procedure to connect your new cover.
Draining The Hot And Cold Water Tank
Follow these directions for draining out the water tank:
- Place a bucket directly under the drain hole, located on the back of the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR machine
- Unscrew the small white drain cap by turning counterclockwise.
- Remove the blue plug to allow the water to drain into the bucket.
How To Clean Your Avalon A4BLWTRCLR Water Dispenser
Cleaning the cold tank will ensure that the pump doesn’t get clogged, as well as the hose that connects your water to the water spouts.
- Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
- Drain the tanks of any water that may be left. See above for draining instructions or refer to your user manual.
- Remove the water bottle.
- Mix your cleaning solution in the water bottle.
- Connect the cleaning bottle to the bottle adapter.
- Drain the reservoir.
- Rinse the reservoir.
- Replace parts and plug in.
Overall the Avalon A4BLWTRCLR is a solid choice for a bottom loading water cooler dispenser. Stainless steel construction for durability, 3 temperature options for convenience all year round, and large capacity water tanks for hot and cold make the Avalon A4 extremely easy to use and highly efficient.
The Avalon is also reasonably priced for its features. Their customer service and tech support are extremely helpful, and the water cooler is covered by a 1 yr limited warranty.
Looking for tips and insights on other water treatment, water purification solutions and appliances for your home? Visit us at iWaterpurification for more in-depth reviews of the latest and greatest water products.